Monday 27 February 2012

Do We Need Award Ceremonies?

OMG – it’ silly season again.


I woke up this morning only to hear on the TV news about last night’s Oscar’s ceremony in Hollywood and who won what, who wore what and what that total “ID 10T” Sacha Baron Cohen was up to this time (and the less said about that the better).
An Oscar Statuette

We’ve had the BAFTA’s, the Golden Globes and now the Oscars for the movie industry. There has also recently been the Grammy’s and the BRITS for music and at some stage the TV and Soap awards will fill our screens. The question does have to be asked, why do we actually need award ceremonies anyway?


Aren’t these so called movie, TV and music stars not paid enough already, without having to resort to a panel of nameless members of a so-called academy to decide upon who was the best at whatever category? 


If I want to make an award to a certain film, I will toddle off down to my local Cineworld or Odeon cinema, pay my few quid and sit there amongst the great unwashed of the world, listening to their infernal chatter, their munching of popcorn whilst slurping upon their diet cola or drink-on-a-stick.

DO I REALLY NEED TO KNOW THAT IT’S WON 17 OSCARS, 48 GOLDEN GLOBES, A FREE HAPPY MEAL AT McDONALDS OR EVEN A BLOODY TENNER ON THE LOTTERY TO DECIDE WHETHER IT’S ANY DAMN GOOD OR NOT?
Adele performing in Seattle (2011)

The same goes with music. If I want an album, I will either buy the CD or download it (am down with the kids me!) 

I DON’T NEED TO HEAR ABOUT ADELE THROWING THE FINGER AT THE SO-CALLED SUITS, BECAUSE THEY CUT SHORT HER ACCEPTANCE SPEECH - GET OVER IT LOVE AND GO COUNT YOUR WADS OF NOTES.


To add insult to injury, the Best Film category at all the ceremonies went to a black and white, silent film. I have not seen “The Artist” so am in no position to comment on whether it is a deserved accreditation or not (I am informed however that it is a complete joy to watch). 

But it is not the style of the film that annoys me, it is the fact that the winner is a French movie and our TV channels here in the UK are continually going on about how wonderful it is. 
Poster advertising "The Artist"
Maybe we should stop for a moment and remember, 

IT’S FRENCH AND WE ARE BRITS. WE HATE THE FRENCH, WE ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL HATE THE FRENCH, AND HERE WE ARE EXTOLLING THEM.

THE WORLD (OR AT LEAST THE UK) HAS GONE TOTALLY MAD! 

(Tatty needs a short lie down!).


In my chosen full–time profession (and I don’t mean blogging sadly), there are no awards to be won – no prizes to be had. That is except for my salary payment at the end of the month of course. 

There's no slapping each other on the back saying how wonderful we are, no putting on a happy face (even through a grimace), when our rival scoops the bounty. We just get on with the job in hand as best we can.


So do we need award ceremonies? Oh you bet we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment