Wednesday 18 May 2011

The Bedfordshire Clanger

Just a quick going back on a previous posting when I mentioned the Bedfordshire Clanger.

You've certainly heard of the Cornish Pasty or Lancashire Hot Pot, well the Clanger is our local dish. Originally created for farm laboureres working in the fields all day, it could be eaten hot or cold. Made up from a suet based dumpling with a savoury filling at one end and a sweet delight at the other, giving the idea of a main course and dessert (clever eh?).

A few bakers in this area still sell them, one of which being Gunns Bakery in Sandy (a link to their clanger page is here)

For more information, go to www.thebedfordshireclanger.co.uk/

That's it for now, I am going to see if I can get an image of a clanger to put up for you (so it's off down to Gunns later).

Have you ever tried one? If so, what do you reckon to them?

I will be back soon, when we will take a trip along the River Ivel. Until then.......

If you are in need of a good read, then please visit my website at www.ukwriter.co.uk where there are samples of many of my articles on various subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment